When you've just opened your SEOshop online store, the first step is stocking your store with the products you intend to sell. If you have previously operated an online store through another provider, a products file from your supplier or wish to add a lot of products quickly, you can use the SEOshop Import & Export tool. Only use files with a.csv- of .xls extension.
Through Tools > Import & Export > Import in the left menu of the back office, you can find sample files you can use to import your products. These sample files can be opened with Microsoft Excel, Calc (Open Office), or similar software. We advice you to use Open Office. Do you want to use the export file of your old/previous online store or a product file provided by a supplier? Copy these data first and paste them in the sample file, which may subsequently be imported.
When using Open office, click File > Import. Excel will then prompt you to indicate the desired document layout. Choose separate by semicolons. Excel will then divide the file in columns, where you can place your data. Use encoding set UTF-8. CSV only supports plain text, so you must use a encoding set (character set) to be able to import special characters. UTF-8 is one of them.
Feeding import data
The next step is filling the worksheet. It is not possible to modify column names or to add new columns. Also, do not remove columns, to prevent any import problems. If you opt to not use a specific column (for example because you do not want brands being displayed), you may leave the fields blank.
If you do want to use it however, but all products share the same feature (such as the same brand), you will have to enter the value for the feature in question in all fields (for example the same brand for each product). Field names match the names used in your online store and indicate what should be entered.
The fields below need to be filled in a special way:
- Internal ID - This field ensures that each product becomes a unique product or product variant. If the former applies, provide a unique number for each row. For example, if you have four products, of which three are variants (such as sizes S, M, L and XL, that apply to the same product), enter the same number with all four of them. You can choose the number yourself, it can have any value you desire.
- Internal Variant ID - This field is created automatically, filling it is not required.
- Visible - Would you like the product in question to become visible immediately? Enter Y, N if you want it hidden, or S if you want it only visible when available.
- EN Description Short - This text will appear in organic search results. Enter a short English description, with a maximum of 160 characters.
- Images - You can only enter URLs here, a file location on your computer is not permitted. Make sure the URL starts with http:// and ends with an image extension (.png, .jpg, .gif etc.).
If you want to add several tags or images to a product, separate them with a comma.
If you have a worksheet of your old online store or supplier, it is vital that you adopt its data in the Products sample sheet. Creating your own layout with your own names is not permitted.
Subsequently store your file in .csv format. You will be provided with this option through a drop-down menu, just before saving it. Other file extensions cannot be imported.
- Locate the file on your computer.
- Connect the right option to the right column name if you wish to change the standard settings.
- Click Next to import the file.
- Click View imported products to check the result.
Steps for changing products
- Go to Tools > Import & Export > Export > Products in the left menu of the back office and click on the green plus icon in the navigation at the top of the screen to export a file (in .csv format)
- You can open the files in Microsoft Excel, Calc (Open Office) or similar software and change the fields you wish to change.
- Go to Tools > Import & Export > Import > New products.
- Click on Click here to choose a .CSV or .XLS(x) file to import.
- Follow the steps of Import steps
- Forgot to add http:// - Every link must start with "http://". Links starting with "https://" should be changed in "http://".
- Incorrect Internal_ID for product variants - Product variants should have the same ID-code as the main product. Place the product variant directly underneath the main product in the .csv file, the system will automatically create the structure. Does each row represent a new product? If so, enter a unique number with Internal_ID for each row.
- Languages not pre-set - If you want to activate several languages, they first have to be set up using the general settings of the back office. Only after doing so, you can incorporate them in your import worksheet.
- Incorrect links - If you use an address prefixed with http:// but the URL is nbot working, it could be that you have not used the proper file extension (.jpg, .png, of .gif). Open the image in your browser. Click on the image using the right mouse button (Windows, keep mouse and ctrl-key pressed on a Mac) and select Copy Image URL/Location in the drop-down menu.
- Too many product variants - A product can have a maximum of 100 variants.
- Excel layout interferes with import - With prices above 1,000 Euro, Excel sometimes places commas between digits (for example 1.,000 instead of 1000). These commas may not be present upon import.
- Max. 1,000 rows at a time. You can import a maximum of 1,000 rows at a time. The minimum is two rows at a time, which comes down to the title and product row.
- Odd characters in your online store - This is an encoding issue. Delete the products in question en save your file again, using .csv encoding.
- Template modified - You cannot modify the import template. It is therefore impossible to add or delete extra columns, or modify names.