When customers place an order, they usually like to be informed of its status. In addition to automatically-sent emails, you also have the option to notify your customers through SMS messages.
Sending SMS messages requires credits. These may be purchased by navigating to GENERAL > Settings > General > Credits or MY ACCOUNT > Subscriptions in the in the left menu of the back office. You can choose either 1000, 2,000 or 5,000 credits, which you can immediately pay for. A single SMS message equals 12 credits.
After purchasing credits, you can activate SMS functionality by navigating to GENERAL > Settings > General > SMS and ticking the Active checkbox. Two new input fields will appear:
- Sender - Enter the name or number of the sender here. If you don't want to allow customers to respond to your messages, enter the name of your online store. If your customers are allowed to respond, you will have to enter your cell phone number here.
- Number - Enter your phone number here. Besides SMS messages sent to your customers, SMS messages will also be sent to you, to you number you specify here, for example Merchant: order paid. If you do not enter a phone number here, SMS messages intended for you cannot be sent.
The next step is adding (a) standard or custom (your own) template(s).
- Standard - Automatic SMS messages sent to all customers, such as Order sent en Ticket answered. These templates are filled and activated by default, but can be modified, if so desired.
- Custom - The custom template is Customer: custom. This template is not connected to a specific function in your online store, but can be used for general notification purposes. For example, if you are absent for two weeks because of a holiday, or if you want to send a personal message to a particular customer. These custom templates may be filled at your own discretion and can be modified before being sent.
Standard messages are sent automatically, whereas custom SMS messages can be sent manually. You can send these SMS messages from every location displying the Send text message button, for example by navigating to CATALOG > Orders in the left menu of the back office and selecting an order, or where you have the option to send SMS messages in bulk using Send text message in the drop-down menu at the left at the bottom of the screen. The latter scenario can be carried out by navigating to CATALOG > Customers in the left menu and ticking (a) customer(s) and subsequently selecting With selected > Send text message in the drop-down menu at the left at the bottom of the screen.
- Navigate to GENERAL > Settings > General > SMS in the left menu of the back office and click Templates at the right at the top of the screen.
- Click the green plus icon in the navigation at the top of the screen.
- A pop-up window will open where you can assign a name to the standard or custom template and select a template.
- Merchant - Messages sent to you.
- Customer - Messages sent to your customers.
- The Customer: custom template is a custom version. SMS messages that use this template will not be sent automatically. SMS messages using the other templates will be sent automatically.
- You will be taken to the edit page, which can also be reached by clicking the pencil icon in the overview. The Content section can be used to design the template, by filling it with text and keys. The keys (also called Replacement tokens) you can use, are:
[[firstname]]- the customer's first name
[[lastname]]- the customer's last name
[[fullname]]- the first and last name of the customer
|Merchant: New order||You will receive an SMS message upon placement of a new order.|
|Merchant: New ticket||You will receive an SMS message when a customer sends a new ticket. This does not apply to tickets you have sent to SEOshop which have been answered by our customer service department.|
|Customer: New order||Customers will receive an SMS notification of their orders. You can use it to create an order confirmation SMS message.|
|Customer: Order sent||Customers will receive this SMS message when the order status changes to Sent.|
|Customer: Ticket answered||Customers will receive this SMS message when you have answered their ticket.|
|Customer: Custom||A custom template, which can entirely be filled at your own discretion and will not be sent automatically. SMS messages using this template can be sent through the backoffice, from every location that displays the Send text message button. Examples can be found by navigating to CATALOG > Orders and selecting the desired order, as well as in locations where you can perform the Send text message bulk action.|
Credit balance notification
Through MY ACCOUNT > Subscription in the left menu you can indicate whether you want to be notified when your credit balance reaches below a given amount (for example, less than 50 credits). If you have activated the SMS function, you will be notified by an SMS message, if it is deactivated you will receive an email.