Creating a return is a useful way to keep track of the reasons why products were returned. You can create a return for your customer in the Back Office. Customers can also create returns by requesting them through their customer account. Visit the article titled How a customer does a return for more information.
NOTE: In order to process an exchange, where a customers request a new replacement product, it is recommended to manually create a new order so that the stock level of the product is properly deducted from your inventory.
- On the left menu of the Back Office go to Orders > Returns and click the return you want to work with.
- Click Create return. If you are processing the order immediately you can change the status to Products credited.
- Click the order number.
- In the Payment section click Create credit memo and reimburse the customer the amount owed.
- On the left menu click Invoices and set the credit invoice to Paid.
- On the left menu click Returns.
- Click the return shipment and edit it.
- New - Standard status of every new return.
- Pending – Use this to show the return is in process.
- Return authorized – Use this if you have received returned products but have not yet shipped them. This lets you know that the return is ready to process.
- Item(s) repaired – Use this if customers return a products and receive another in return, or if a product needs to be repaired.
- Item(s) refunded – Use this if a return shipment has been processed and the customer has been reimbursed.
- Request rejected – Use this if goods are returned that do not comply witn your return conditions, such as product that cannot be returned, because of incorrect or inappropriate use.
- Cancelled – Use this if a return shipment is no longer valid.
Return reason - Select the reason why your customer wants to return the product or create a new return reason. For example, a customer wants to return a t-shirt because it has a manufacturer defect, so the return reason selected is Defective product.
Return action – Select how you or your customer wants the return to be resolved or create a new return action. For example, the customer wants to receive a replacement for a defective t-shirt, so the return action might be, Send a replacement t-shirt.
NOTE: Your customers can see the return reason and the return action by visiting your online store's homepage > Selecting Login/Create account and logging in > Selecting My orders > Selecting an order with a return by selecting View > Scrolling to Returns.
Customer comments – Enter the customer's comments about the return. It will be visible only to you and other Back Office users.
Staff note – If your online store is managed by several users, you can add an internal note for them.
Is Stock Adjusted – Select whether to add the returned product to inventory. Do not add the product if, for example, it is faulty.
Notify customer – Use this to email the customer about the return status. To create the text of this email go to Settings > WEBSITE SETTINGS > Notification emails.