Improve the success of your online store by improving your visibility in Google. These tools and tips help you increase your search engine optimization.
Use meta tags to boost your store's findability
On the left menu of the Back Office click Settings and from General Settings choose General.
- Name - name you have chosen for your online store. It will be displayed at the left at the top in the browser window in the tab.
- Meta Title - displays in Google what your online store is all about. Use text that is short and to-the-point, with a maximum of 70 characters, including spaces, how you wish to profile yourself to your target audiences.
- Meta Description - description of your online store, as you want it to appear under the link in search results. Provide a clear, concise text (maximum 160 characters, including spaces), that invites people to visit your site.
- Meta Keywords - Enter the search terms that which you want to be found with by search engines. You can enter a maximum of 250 characters. Not all search engines use keywords when indexing your online store. Ilse, Vindex and Inktomi do; Google, Yahoo and Bing do not.
Make your products stand out with tags
- Meta tags, products and categories - clear descriptions and names of products and categories. Think like your target audience. Which search terms will visitors likely use?
- Tags - Have you added three to five tags to all of your products? Use tags to describe a given with just a few keywords. For example, when you sell a size L men's T-shirt, the men's fashion, T-shirt and size L tags describe your product and help increase its visibility.
- Unique content - Have you provided unique texts everywhere? Avoid using texts provided by your suppliers as they are too generic. The more unique content you have, the better. You don't have to write an elaborate story. The main thing is that the text does not already exist in Google.
- Feedback/reviews - Feedback provided by feedback companies such as KiyOh and The Feedback Company and reviews in your online store provide additional unique content. The star ratings of the feedback companies also affect your rank within Google.
- Link building - How often does your URL appear in relevant external pages? Search Engine Optimization (SEO) can be divided in internal and external optimization. The internal part involves the structure of your online store and the titles and keywords it uses. External optimization involves external URLs referring to your online store (inbound URLs). An online store with few inbound URLs is considered to be less important than an online store that has many.
- Promote - Use social media to your advantage. Make sure that people know you, talk about you and look for you online.
Except for the feedback companies, all tools mentioned above are free of charge. Another paid option is Google Adwords, which will list your online store in paid search results.