Discount codes are a powerful way to attract new customers or to tempt existing customers to purchase from your online store again. This article explains how to create discount codes.
To create a discount code
- In the left menu of the Back Office, go to to Marketing > Discount Codes.
- Click Add Discount Code at the top of the screen. A settings page for the new discount code displays.
- Under DISCOUNT CODE, configure the following:
- Enable discount code - Click the toggle to activate the code.
- Discount code - Enter a name for the code that your customers will enter during checkout to apply the discount. The name may consist of alphabetic characters, digits and symbols.
- Type of discount - Select either Percentage or Amount, and then enter the discount value.
- Click Continue. More settings and options display.
- under DISCOUNT PERIOD, specify the time period (validity) during which the code can be used. The code will no longer work once the time period expires.
- Under TIMES USED, specify the total number of times the discount code can be applied, by entering a value in the Usage limit field. The Times Used counter keeps track of how often the code has been applied (to date). You can reset the counter by clicking Reset.
- Under OPTIONS, configure the following:
- Shipping costs - You can also offer a discount on shipping costs. If you select Free from the Shipping costs drop-down, your customers will be granted the discount amount or percentage you specified for the Type of discount option, described above. If you select Calculate discount, Lightspeed eCom discounts the cost of shipping, as long as it does not exceed the discount amount or percentage you specified for the Type of discount option. If you select Default, the discount code will not apply to shipping costs.
- Order Minimum - Specify the minimum amount that customers have to order to be able to use the discount code. You can, for example, offer a discount of 15$ when customers spend 100$ or more.
- Valid for - Choose whether the discount code applies to all categories, specific categories or products, or specific categories AND products:
- Complete catalog - The discount code applies to all products.
- Selected products only - The discount code only applies to the products selected. You will need to specify the products in the next step.
- Selected categories only - The discount code only applies to the categories selected. You will need to specify the categories in the next step.
- Selected products and categories - The discount code only applies to the products and categories selected. You will need to specify both the products and categories in the next step.
You can activate multiple discount codes simultaneously by using the Bulk action menu at the top of the grid on the Discounts Codes page (Marketing > Discount Codes). Select the discount codes you want to activate by clicking the checkbox next to each discount code, and then click Bulk actions > Activate.