Custom fields are product variants. For example, think of sizes, colors and/or input fields for engraving or printing of products. Contrary to Product options, which can be created through CATALOG > Product options in the left menu of the back office, no new products with their own inventory management are created when using Custom fields. You retain one single product with one single inventory, despite different variants. Say you have a custom field for sizes S, M, L & XL. With custom fields it does not matter whether customers order a size L or S, both are deducted from the same inventory.
Besides a drop-down menu, you can configure a variety of input fields through Custom fields. There is no limit to the number of options you may use. Per product you can create a custom field or a custom field set. This is a standard set you can create through CATALOG > Custom fields in the left menu of the back office. You can link it to a number of products and modify it per individual product, if so desired.
Creating custom fields
Create a custom field by clicking the green plus icon in the navigation at the top of the screen. Assign a name to it, for example "T-shirt".
Select the Fields tab and click the green plus icon in the navigation at the top of the screen to add a new field. You can choose from the following field types:
- Text field - A Text field is ideal if you want to offer your customers the possibility to have products engraved or printed. You can configure a limit (Characters) to the number of characters allowed for input, to make ensure a text always fits. Customers are free to enter characters at their won discretion, such as alphanumerical characters, digits, spaces, punctuation marks (points, commas, semicolons etc.)and symbols.
- Text Area - Enter text here. No limit applies to the number of characters allowed for input. Avoid this field when working with engravings or prints. For example, use this field if you sell tickets or cards with texts on them. Texts may be entered by customers themselves.
- Drop-down - A collapsible menu. Using a drop-down menu, customers can easily select their desired option. This is the most commonly used method. Through a drop-down menu you can have customers choose from product options such as size, color, material etc. Customers can select a maximum of one option from a drop-down menu.
- Multiple select - With this, customers can select a number of options from a menu, by keeping the Ctrl key on their keyboard pressed. You can use this for example if you sell products of which customers can configure certain features, like a gift box of which the contents can be made up by choice. In this case the drop-down menu would display all available gift options.
- Radio buttons - Small round areas clickable by customers. Use them if you want to offer your customers one option only, such as "Yes" or "No" when prompting them whether an order should be gift-wrapped.
- Check box - A tiny square rectangle where a tick will appear when clicked. Use this field to offer your customers the possibility to switch an option on/off, or if they can choose from a number of options with a particular product.
- Date - Three drop-down menus will appear next to each other, where customers may select day, month and year. A handy feature if you for example sell jewelry that can be engraved, like wedding rings.
- Date & time - Three drop-down menus will appear next to each other, where customers may select day, month and year. Below two additional drop-down menus will follow, allowing selection of a point in time. A useful tool when fresh parents want to order printed announcements of the birth of the apple of their eyes.
- Time - Two drop-down menus will appear next to each other, where customers may select a point in time. For example to tell when exactly they would like their ordered lunch/dinner delivered.
Once you have chosen a custom field, you will be taken to the edit page of the selected product. With the Text field, Text area, Date, Date & time and Time fields you only have to indicate whether they are required by ticking the Required check box, with the Drop-down, Multiple select, Radio button en Check box fields you must add values, being the options that customers may choose from.
- Title - Enter a value here. If you wish to create a drop-down menu with sizes, enter a size per value (S, M, L, XL etc.).
- Price - You only have to enter a price here if it differs from the price specified in the Price tab, through CATALOG > Products in the left menu of the back office. Positive values will be added to the standard price of a product, negative values will be deducted. Use this field if choosing extra options may cause the price of a product to turn out higher than its standard price, or if you wish to offer a discount.
- Price type - The price entered in the Price field may be used in calculations as an amount or percentage. For example, if you have entered a value of 2, this could be an additional €2 or 2%.
- Add value - You have to create a new line for each value. For example, if you use a drop-down menu with sizes, each size category (S, M, L en XL) should have its own line with Title, Price en Price type fields.
- Click on Save.