When a customer places an order on your online store and pays for the order using their credit card, Lightspeed eCom will first request a payment pre-authorization through Lightspeed Payments for the order amount.
By default, once the pre-authorization is successful Lightspeed Payments captures the payment automatically. This saves you the time of manually capturing each order. Also, it ensures you don't lose money. Forget to manually capture an order and you will not receive the customer's payment.
Turn off automatic capture when:
- You want to charge your customers only when the product is shipped. This is useful when your customers like to change their order after they purchase it. They may want to change their order by cancelling it. This won't cost you anything if the capture hasn't yet occurred.
- You want to potentially decrease your chargeback risk. By increasing time between the capture and authorization, manual capture can allow enough time for potential fraud to be found by carefully reviewing the transaction.
Disabling automatic capture
- From your Retail account, click eCom to log in to your eCom back office.
- Click Settings.
- Under PAYMENT SETTINGS, click Payment Providers.
- Click Lightspeed Payments.
- In PROVIDER SETTINGS, disable the switch labeled Enable automatic capture.
- Click Save.
- Capture payments within 7 days to receive the payment.
- Wait a minimum of 60 seconds after pre-authorization to capture a payment.
- Lightspeed eCom will not allow you to ship the order, or mark the order as Shipped, until payment has been captured. For this purpose, the Mark as Shipped button is disabled.
- In the left menu of the Back Office, Click Orders.
- Open an order with marked with the status Awaiting Capture by clicking on the order number in the list.
- Wait 60 seconds until after pre-authorization is successful.
- Click the Capture Payment button.
- Once the payment is successfully captured, the Mark as Shipped button is enabled and you can change the shipment status of the order as needed.