HS codes can be entered per product in Lightspeed eCom. Add HS codes only when shipping internationally using integrated shipping.
Depending on the integration, a missing HS code can:
- Prevent checkout completion. Some integrations require HS codes to display international shipping methods. Without an available shipment method, customers cannot complete checkout.
- Cause a placeholder HS code to be used. This causes the shipping label to have incorrect HS codes which can cause customs and tariff issues.
- Decide where you will search for your HS code. Countries have the same first six digits but use subsequent digits for further classification. Lightspeed eCom only supports one code per variant, per product. Make sure you check your code is specific to the market to which you are exporting or importing goods, some HS code sources include:
- Obtain the HS codes for each type of product in your eCom store. For example, if all your products are cotton t-shirts, you will only need one HS code.
Turn on HS codes.
- Click Settings > Advanced.
- Scroll to the STORE section and enable the switch under HS codes.
Add the HS codes to each variant of a product.
- From the left menu of the Back Office, click Products.
- Click the title of a product to open its settings.
- Scroll to the INVENTORY & VARIANTS section and click the title of a variant to open it's settings.
- Scroll to the IDENTIFIERS section and enter the HS code representing the product.
- Click Save.
- You can import HS codes for each product. Read Editing products through import for more information.