Lightspeed eCom has a set of features that assist you when selling to other companies, known as business to business, or B2B. The B2B feature is only available if you have a Professional subscription. For more information regarding subscriptions, click here.
This article includes:
For more information about opening a B2B shop, useful tips, a B2B white paper and choosing the right B2B theme can be found in this article (available in Dutch only): https://www.lightspeedhq.nl/blog/een-b2b-webshop-starten/ .
You can enable 5 features to setup the B2B experience in Lightspeed eCom:
- Prices - Login required: Only logged-in customers are able to see prices.
- Purchases - Login required: Only logged-in customers are able to purchase products.
- User accounts - Approval required: All customers accounts must be approved before customers can login. (See note)
- Prices - Excluding VAT/taxes - All products are displayed excluding Value Added Taxes (VAT) in the EU or sales taxes in North America.
- Customer groups and discount rules - Features that can improve the B2B experience. NOTE: Customer groups and discount rules are not B2B features, they only complement the B2B features.
Follow these directions to enable B2B features:
- To manage them in your eCom Back Office, click Settings.
- Under General settings, click Advanced:
- For Prices - Login required, in the STORE section, for Prices select After login.
- For Purchases - Login required, in the STORE section, for Shopping cart, select Registered customers only. (See note)
- For User accounts - Approval required, in the REGISTRATION section, set Registration to After approval.
- From your eCom Back Office, click Settings.
- Under Payment settings, click Taxes.
- In the TAX SETTINGS section, ensure the switch for All prices exclude VAT (EU) or All prices exclude taxes (North America) is enabled.
- You can setup your customer groups and discount rules if required. You can create customer groups based on the type of customer. You can also create discount rules for a customer group.
- For more information on creating Customer Groups, click here.
- For more information about Discount Rules, click here.
When a customer creates an account on your website, if your registration is set as After approval, you will need to approve them before they can purchase from your site. Do this by:
- Logging into your eCom Back Office and click Customers.
- Toggle on the switch in the Approved column.
- You can also select the new customer's name.
- Click Edit.
- In the PERSONAL INFORMATION section, enable the switch for Approval pending.
The B2B features can be combined with other eCom features, like Customer Groups and accounts as well as Discount Rules, to optimize B2B sales. These features:
- Allow you to add a customer to a customer group so when your customer logs into to their account on your website, they will see the discounts associated to their customer group, facilitated by discount rules.
- Make it possible to show your products without prices until a customer logs into their account.
- Provide your customers an account so they can access their order history and create duplicate order requests for repeat orders.
- Display your products without Value Added Taxes (VAT) in the EU. NOTE: In North America, prices are usually displayed without taxes.
B2B features example
The following scenarios are possible with the specified B2B features enabled. Click on the settings required to find its setup instructions.
Scenario 1: Hiding prices until login
When a reseller named Company Inc. visits your website, they will not see any prices until they log in. Once they log in, they will be identified as a reseller and will see all prices with a 15% discount.
- Prices - Login required
- Customer group named Reseller, created
- Discount rule for Resellers created: 15% off
- Company Inc. customer added as a Reseller
Scenario 2: Unregistered customers must sign in
When an unregistered customer visits your website, they will not see any prices. They will also not be able to make a purchase. They create an account and must wait until they are approved by you before they can see prices. This allows you to select their customer group.
Scenario 3: Visible prices, login for B2B discounts
When a producer named Business Co. visits your website, they see unregistered customer prices without a discount. When they logs in, they will be identified as a producer and will see all prices at a 10% discount.
- Disable Prices - Login required by setting Prices as Enabled.
- Customer group named Producer, created
- Discount rule for Producers created: 10% off
- Business Co. customer added as a Producer
As well as selling B2B customers, you may consider selling to consumers as well. When you sell to consumers this is known as business to consumer, or B2C. B2B customers expect a different shopping experience when compared to B2C customers.
- B2B customers may expect to login to their account to view prices and manage their order history. They expect to have specific product information that speaks to both the users of the product and the people who decide to purchase it. Businesses will be expecting wholesale prices and prices with less markup when compared to Retail prices.
- B2C customers expect to see the prices of their products without logging into their account and some customers would prefer to checkout as a guest instead of creating an account. They will expect the product information to speak directly to them because they are going to use the product. They will be expecting Retail prices with occasional sales on products.
In order to cater to B2B and B2C customers and provide a unique experience for both, it's recommended that you use one eCom store for businesses and a second eCom store for consumers. This means you will have two websites, a B2B website and a B2C website.
- Use Lightspeed Multishop to make it easier to manage the inventories from two different eCom subscriptions by connecting both inventories. For more information, click here.
- Multishop is not available for Omnichannel customers. To find out which version of Lightspeed eCom you are using, click here.
Connecting two eCom store webpages together
In case your B2B customers access your B2C eCom store, or your B2C customers find your B2B website, you can connect your two websites by, adding links on both direct traffic to the correct locations.
To add a link in your main navigation:
- Login to your eCom Back Office and click Design > Navigation.
- Select Default.
- Click Add link.
- Type B2B for the Link Title or choose another Link Title that is more appropriate for your customers.
- In the dropdown menu under Link to, select URL.
- Enter the full web address of your B2B store, including https://. For example if your b2b store is JohnsB2B.com, enter: https://www.johnsb2b.com.
- Click Save.
- Repeat the instructions in your other eCom shop.