When a customer makes a purchase at your online store, they can check out as a guest or they can register an account and check out as a registered user. The guest checkout is faster, but registered accounts can be useful for you and your returning customers because they preserve customer details for future purchases. You can customize these settings based on your needs.
Require account registration
You can require your customers to register an account and log in before making a purchase at your online store.
- In your eCom back office, select Checkout. Then, select Configuration.
- In the CART & CHECKOUT PERMISSIONS section, next to Enable cart and checkout, click the dropdown and select Forced.
- Click Save.
For more information about the options Enabled, Disabled and Registered customers only, visit the Checkout setup article.
Require a purchase before account registration
By default, your customers can register an account at your online store without making a purchase. If you disable this setting, customers can only register a new account during the checkout process.
- In your eCom admin, select Settings.
- At the bottom of the General Settings column, select Advanced.
- Scroll down to the REGISTRATION section and select Disabled from the dropdown menu labeled: Registration.
- Select Save.
To offer exclusive, members-only shopping at your online store, require account registration by combining the settings listed above. When you set Registration to Disabled and Enable cart and checkout to Forced, only customers with registered accounts can make purchases. If you need to accept a new member, manually create the account for your customer.
If you are interested in this feature for business-to-business (B2B) sales, review our Setting up B2B features article.