By default, your customers can checkout as guests. They have the option of creating accounts without ordering products. They can also create accounts during checkout as well.
Prevent purchases from guest accounts
You can force guests to login before purchasing.
- In your eCom admin, select Checkout > Settings.
- In the CART & CHECKOUT PERMISSIONS section, select Forced from the setting labeled Enable cart and checkout.
- Select Save.
For more information about the other options: Enabled, Disabled and Registered customers only, visit the Checkout setup article.
You can prevent your customers from creating new accounts without purchasing. New accounts will still be created when customers checkout as guests and they can still access them by selecting forgot password. The default setting is Enabled. To disable it:
- In your eCom admin, select Settings.
- Select Advanced at the bottom of the General Settings column.
- Scroll down to the REGISTRATION section and select Disabled from the dropdown menu labeled: Registration.
- Select Save.
For more information about the other options: Guest only or After approval, visit the Advanced settings article.
Exclusive member purchases
You can accept purchases from only your existing registered customers by combining the two options above. With Registration: Disabled and Enable cart and checkout: Forced, only your existing members are able to purchase. To accept new members you would need to create accounts for your customers. This is similar to the B2B feature, User accounts - approval required.