This article contains an overview of the ways you can modify categories. Click here for an introduction and explanation on how to create categories.
You can modify the following parts of a category:
Ignore this section if the category is a main category. If it is a sub-category, click Select a category to select a parent category.
NOTE: Overview type categories must remain as parent categories, they cannot be sub-categories to product or text type categories.
Click Detach parent category to change a category to a main category. If you want to move it, click Select a category to switch to another parent category.
The basic category information.
- Title– category’s title that will be displayed in the menu.
- Full title– long title that will be listed on the category page.
- Description– same as the meta description and can be left blank.
- Content – enter text to tell customers more about the category. This information will be visible in the online store. Unique content is important, as it increases the findability of products and your online store.
- Featured image – click Edit to add an image to a category.
Enter the meta tags of the category.
- Do not index - if you do not want the category to be indexed by Google, select the checkbox and save the page. This feature is useful when your online store is under construction, or if you have several pages with almost identical content and want to prevent search engines from assuming that you have duplicate content.
- Page title - page name and meta title, which is the name of the category.
- Meta description - enter a short category description, max. 156 characters, which will be displayed as a page description. Write a compelling description and use keywords.
- Meta keywords - keywords are core words that describe your category. Keywords are not used in Google.
- Visibility – select the Include in catalog checkbox if you want to make the category visible in your online store.
- Type - enter the category type: product, overview or text page.
Add the products that are in this category. For more information on this section, see Reordering and managing products in a category.
Turn on the Include in catalog switch if you want to make the category visible in your online store.
The type of category determines what information the category will display. Select one of the following 3 options:
- Product - Displays the products that are assigned to the category.
- Overview - Displays the sub-categories assigned to the category. Useful for your customers when you have many sub-categories assigned.
- Text page - Displays only the details entered in the CATEGORY INFORMATION > Content part of the category.