You almost constantly optimize an eCom store. Changing a theme on a live eCom store requires some planning to run as smoothly as possible. For more information about the effects of installing a theme, click here.
To minimize the impact on customers:
- Backup your theme settings and code
- Use a test shop
- Plan and publish your live theme installation
Backup your theme settings and code
In case you need to revert your changes back to your previous theme, make sure to backup your settings.
- Take screenshots of the all theme settings in your live eCom store.
- Copy the values like colour hex codes to a text file so they can be quickly cut and pasted.
- Copy any changes that may have been made in the theme code.
Use a test shop
You can create a test shop by following the instructions located here. In a test shop, it is recommended that you:
- Export products from your live eCom store and import them to your test shop.
- Install new themes and configure them. Try out all the features and adjust the design or colors until you are satisfied.
- Make changes to the theme code if required.
Plan and publish your live theme installation
- Collect all images for your theme into a folder, including banners and headlines.
- Add descriptive labels to your images so you can quickly identify their target locations.
- Document all the changes made to the theme in your test shop. Make sure you're ready to repeat the same settings in your live eCom store.
- Identify and select a date and time with low traffic to make the change.
- When ready, in your live eCom store, install the theme.
- Make the prepared changes to the theme settings.
- If made, copy all changes to the theme's code to the new theme.