Setting up PayPal as a payment provider is fast and easy. Within minutes, you can start accepting the following payment methods:
- Credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express)
- Bank transfer
To set up PayPal:
- Create a PayPal Business account.
- Log in to your eCom back office.
- From the main menu, select Settings > Payment Providers.
Note: If you've successfully signed up with Lightspeed Payments and are located in the Netherlands or Belgium, PayPal will already be listed on the Payment Providers page by default. Select PayPal and skip to step 6.
- At the top-right of the page, select Add Payment Providers.
- To the right of PayPal, select Add. The Edit PayPal page will open.
- Enable Activate this payment provider.
- Under PROVIDER SETTINGS, enter the email address associated with your PayPal Business account.
- From the Mode drop-down, select Live.
- Under PAYMENT METHODS, enable PayPal. Optionally, enable other payment methods that your PayPal Business account can accept.
Note: If you've successfully signed up with Lightspeed Payments and are located in the Netherlands or Belgium, only the PayPal payment method is supported.
- Optionally, configure additional settings.
- Select Save.
Verify PayPal works correctly
- From Home in your eCom Back Office, Click View Store in the top right-hand side of the screen.
- On your eCom store, purchase an item in your eCom store and use PayPal as the payment Method. The buttons in the steps below may vary slightly depending on your theme.
- Add a product in your cart.
- Click My cart.
- Click Proceed to checkout.
- In the first part of checkout, enter any name and address information. What you enter isn't important, this order will be cancelled.
- In the second part of checkout, select any shipping method. If no shipping methods are available, create one. For more information, click here.
- In the third part, select PayPal as the payment method
- In the final part, accept the general terms & conditions and click Buy.
- If you are redirected to a PayPal screen where you need to login to pay, or where you can enter your credit card details, you've successfully verified that PayPal works.
- In your eCom Back Office, click Orders.
- Open the order you just created by clicking on the order's title.
- At the bottom of the screen, click Cancel order > Cancel this order.
Setting up PayPal currency
In most cases, PayPal will use your local currency and does not require any adjustment. If your PayPal account has a different currency than your eCom store's default currency, you can change the default currency within PayPal. You can check your eCom store's default currency in your eCom Back Office, in Settings > Store country.
- Log in to PayPal with your business PayPal account.
- Click on the gear icon in the top left to open your Profile.
- Click on My Money.
- Ensure the currency you want to select is in the section called Currency management. If not, click A dd a currency. In the new page, select your new currency and click Add a Currency.
- On the right-hand side of the currency, hover over the more options icon and click Make primary .
Setting up PayPal to automatically accept other currencies
If you are setting up a new international eCom store and you are planning on using your local PayPal account, you may need to update your PayPal settings related to accepting currencies you do not hold.
PayPal may ask you for each individual payment whether you would like to accept it or block it. PayPal may also completely block all foreign payments. To prevent this, you can configure PayPal to automatically accept foreign payments.
For example, suppose you have a local eCom store with the default currency set in EUR and an international eCom store with the default currency in USD. Your PayPal account has the primary currency set in EUR. In this case, your international eCom store's currency (USD) does not match your PayPal account currency (EUR). So your international customers may be unable to purchase from your store if PayPal is either blocking or asking you each time whether you want to block or accept payments.
NOTE: This only applies if the default currency of your eCom store differs, not if you have added extra currencies in your eCom Back Office, Settings > Store country.
To ensure PayPal always accepts foreign currencies:
- Login to PayPal with your business PayPal account.
- Open your Profile and click My Selling Tools.
- Click on Update next to Block Payments.
- Under the question Allow payments sent to me in a currency I do not hold, select the option Yes, accept and convert them to [your currency]. The page will save automatically.