Buying a domain name is an exciting step in launching your eCom store. A domain refers to a custom web address. It is how customers will identify and access your eCom store. You purchase domain names from domain providers. Domain providers are officially known as domain registrars.
To buy a domain name, you need to have all three parts of a domain name in mind. A domain name consists three parts: a subdomain, root domain and a top-level domain.
Selecting a top-level domain
The most common top-level domain (TLD) is .com. Companies sometimes choose the country code TLD of their country of residence for example, mydomain.nl.
Research the domain providers that can provide a TLD that you prefer. Here are some popular examples:
- GoDaddy - North America
- Open Provider - The Netherlands
- 1&1 - Germany
Selecting a root domain
The root domain is your eCom store's identity. It should be short, use keywords and be memorable.
- Based on your research when selecting a top-level domain, open a domain provider's website.
- Search for available domain names.
- It is possible that your first choice is already taken. When this happens, some domain providers offer suggestions that are similar.
- Keep searching until you find a domain name that suits your business.
- Add your domain to the cart and purchase it.
Selecting a subdomain
You will choose your subdomain in the next step when you connect your domain to Lightspeed eCom.
Typically websites use www. There are no restrictions on the subdomain you choose. Some shops use shop as a subdomain when they have another website using www. This may be easier for your shoppers to remember how to find you.
Now that you have a decided on a TLD, root domain and subdomain, the next steps are:
- Adding your domain to your eCom store - Can be done anytime before you launch your eCom store. It does not make your new domain public. For instructions, click here.
- Launching your website - This is how you make your new domain public. It involves adding certain details in your domain provider. This should only be done when your ready to start accepting eCom orders. For instructions, click here.
Built-in eCom domain
Lightspeed eCom provides you with a web address based on the name of your eCom shop. Depending on your location, your built-in domain will either have .webshopapp.com or .shoplightspeed.com added to the end of it.
It is not recommended you advertise with your built-in domain. It is much better for SEO to come up with your own custom domain.