Discount codes are a powerful way to attract new customers or to tempt existing customers to purchase from your online store again. This article explains how to create discount codes.
NOTE: Lightspeed eCom allows a maximum of one discount code to be added per order in checkout.
Adding a discount code to incentivize checkout
Adding your discount codes to your cart can increase the chances your customers check out.
This can be done by adding your text including an introduction to the promotion and your discount code to the cart page by going to Content > My cart. For more information about adding discount codes or extra content to your cart, click here.
To create a discount code
- In the left menu of the Back Office, go to to Marketing > Discount Codes.
- Click Add Discount Code at the top of the screen. A settings page for the new discount code displays.
NOTE: You can also add multiple discount codes simultaneously; click Add Multiple Codes. Once the codes are created, you can edit each code individually to change its settings, including its discount amount or percentage value, and its validity period, etc.
- Under DISCOUNT CODE, configure the following:
- Enable discount code - Click the toggle to activate the code.
- Discount code - Enter a name for the code that your customers will enter during checkout to apply the discount. The name may consist of alphabetic characters, digits and symbols.
- Amount of discount - Set the discount (amount or percentage) to apply.
- Click Continue. More settings and options display.
- Under DISCOUNT PERIOD, specify the time period (validity) during which the code can be used. The code will no longer work once the time period expires. The time period expires on the selected date at 12:00AM (00:00). For more information about synchronizing discount expiry, click here.
- Under TIMES USED, specify the total number of times the discount code can be applied, by entering a value in the Usage limit field. The Times Used counter keeps track of how often the code has been applied (to date). You can reset the counter by clicking Reset.
- Under SETTINGS, configure the following:
- When this Discount is used, shipping will - Select the appropriate action from the drop-down: not be discounted, be included in the discount amount or be free. If you select be included in the discount amount, Lightspeed eCom discounts the cost of shipping, as long as it does not exceed the discount amount or percentage you specified.
- To activate this Discount Code, shoppers must spend at least - Enter a minimum order amount required for discount codes to take effect.
- Before discount - Select before discount to make eCom compare the order total to the minimum order amount before discounting the order. For example, eCom compares the order total ($51) to the minimum ($50) before applying the discount, resulting in the customer getting a discount because the minimum order value has been reached.
- After discount - Select after discount to make eCom compare the order total to the minimum order amount after discounting the order. For example, eCom applies the discount ($51-$10=$41) and after compares the new total ($41) to the minimum ($50), resulting in the customer not receiving a discount because the mimimum order amount has not been reached.
- Apply discount to - Choose whether the discount code applies to all categories, specific categories or products, or specific categories AND products:
- all products and categories - The discount code applies to all products.
- Selected products - The discount code only applies to the products selected. You will need to specify the products in the next step.
- Selected categories - The discount code only applies to the categories selected. You will need to specify the categories in the next step.
- Selected products and categories - The discount code only applies to the products and categories selected. You will need to specify both the products and categories in the next step.
- Apply discount before tax (enabled by default) - This setting is only available for tax-exclusive stores—for example, merchants from the US and Canada or some business-to-business (B2B) merchants. It allows tax-exclusive merchants to specify whether or not to have the discount (amount or percentage) applied on the original purchase price of products (before taxes are added), or after all applicable taxes have been calculated. By default, this toggle is set to apply the discount before taxes.
You can activate, delete, disable, etc. multiple discount codes simultaneously by using the Bulk action menu at the top of the grid on the Discount Codes page (Marketing > Discount Codes). Select the discount codes you want to activate by clicking the checkbox next to each discount code, and then click Bulk actions and select the appropriate action.